Calcasieu parish is located in southwestern Louisiana, United States. The parish seat is Lake Charles, the largest city in the parish and one of Louisiana’s major industrial and cultural centers. The District Court is at 1001 Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles, LA 70601. The Clerk of Court’s office is at 1000 Ryan Street #5, Lake Charles, LA 70601. All Calcasieu parish probate matters are filed at Lake Charles’ Clerk of Court’s office.
If you’ve found this page, there’s a good chance you need help with a probate matter, and our office is happy to help. Our firm services clients all over Louisiana and has helped numerous clients in Calcasieu parish.
A Calcasieu parish probate attorney can help with various aspects of the probate process, including:
- Filing a petition with the court to open a probate case
- Identifying and locating the deceased person’s assets
- Notifying heirs and creditors of the probate case
- Handling any disputes that may arise during the probate process
- Ensuring that all debts and taxes owed by the deceased are paid
- Distributing the deceased person’s assets to their heirs according to their will or state law
- If the deceased person had a will, a Calcasieu Parish probate attorney could also help with the will contest process. This involves challenging the will’s validity in court, which can be necessary if there are concerns about its authenticity or someone believes they were unfairly left out of the will.
It’s important to note that not all estates go through the probate process. If the deceased person had a trust or if their assets were held in a way that avoided probate, a probate attorney may not be necessary. However, in many cases, the probate process is required to settle a deceased person’s estate and distribute their assets to their heirs.
Know When to Hire a Probate Attorney
It is advisable to hire a probate attorney in the following situations:
When a loved one has passed away, and their estate needs to go through probate: Probate is the legal process of settling a deceased person’s estate, and a probate attorney can help navigate this process.
- When there is a will: If there is a will, a probate attorney can ensure that it is executed following the law and the deceased person’s wishes.
- When there are multiple beneficiaries: If the estate has multiple beneficiaries, a probate attorney can help ensure each beneficiary receives their fair share of the estate.
- When there are disputes among beneficiaries: If there are disputes among beneficiaries over the distribution of the estate, a probate attorney can help resolve these disputes and protect the interests of all parties involved.
- When the estate has complex assets: If the estate includes complex assets, such as real estate or business interests, a probate attorney can guide how to manage these assets during the probate process.
- When heirs live out-of-state: It’s hard to manage a family member’s estate if you live in another state. Our firm can handle the succession process without you having to drive to Louisiana.
Overall, a probate attorney can provide valuable support and legal guidance during a difficult time and help ensure that the probate process is carried out smoothly and efficiently. Successions take time and an attorney can help you manage any issues that may occur.
How Much Does a Succession Cost in Louisiana
The cost of a succession (also known as probate) in Louisiana can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the estate, as well as other factors such as the location of the heirs and the type of property involved. In general, the cost of succession in Louisiana can range from 1,500 dollars for a simple estate to several thousand dollars for a more complex estate.
Factors that can impact the cost of succession in Calcasieu parish include:
- The size of the estate: The larger the estate, the more time and resources will be required to settle it, which can drive up costs.
- The complexity of the estate: If the estate includes complex assets, such as real estate or business interests, the cost of settling the estate can be higher.
- Estate administration expenses: There may be other expenses associated with the probate process, such as court filing fees, appraiser fees, and administrative costs.
Our firm charges a flat-rate fee for succession matters, which means you pay one fee at the beginning of the representation that covers your case until the conclusion. This saves our clients money and allows them to ask all the questions they need to understand the process thoroughly.
Suppose you’re facing a probate matter in Calcasieu Parish. In that case, it’s essential to seek the guidance of a qualified and experienced probate attorney who can help ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.
The Andries Law Firm, LLC helps clients file successions in Calcasieu Parish. Call us at (318) 269-5857 or email Jerome@Andrieslawfirm.com to schedule a free phone consultation.