Contact Email
Office Hours
Mon - Fri : 09:00-5:00
Free consultation

How to Get a Divorce Without Going to Court

You may be wondering how to get a divorce without going to court. Many of our clients want to avoid court and handle their uncontested divorce between the parties without standing before a judge and airing out their personal business in front of a group of strangers. 

Going to court to get a divorce can be an anxiety-riddled experience and can take the better part of a day depending on how long the docket is ahead of you. Many people are anxious about missing work due to getting a divorce in court. 

Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to get a divorce in Louisiana without going to court. It’s possible to handle your divorce by agreement and avoid having to go to court. Our firm can show you how and help you save time and not have to miss work.

Here are a few things you need to know about getting your divorce finalized without having to go to court: 

Must be an Uncontested Divorce

You and your ex must agree to have an uncontested divorce. This doesn’t mean that all issues must be agreed on, but the divorce must be uncontested. This means that neither party will fight over the separation date, property or child custody. You can handle these other issues outside of the divorce process if there are any issues remaining. 

Spouse Must Sign a Waiver of Service or be Served

Your ex must sign a Waiver of Service that basically states that they do not need to be served with the Petition for Divorce and they waive time delays. You will have to direct the Sheriff to serve them if they don’t sign the Waiver of Service.

You Must Sign an Affidavit 

You, the plaintiff must sign an affidavit stating that you and your ex have been separated from the date specified and that you have not reconciled and gotten back together as husband and wife during that time period. This affidavit must be notarized and filed with the court. 

Time Delays

There will be a few time delays involved with getting a Louisiana divorce without going to court. The Clerk of Court must process your paperwork and send it to the judge assigned to the case to review. The judge will sign a judgment of preliminary default. This process could take a couple of weeks depending on how fast your paperwork is processed. 

You Don’t Have to Live Close to Our Office 

The Andries Law Firm handles divorce cases in every parish in Louisiana virtually via phone, email, mail, fax and other technology. We pride ourselves in using the best technology to assist clients without them having to drive to meet us. We can help you get a divorce in any parish in Louisiana without you having to meet us in person. 

How Much Does an Uncontested Divorce Cost in Louisiana?  

Our legal fees for uncontested divorces depend on the complexity of your case. For purely uncontested divorces where both parties agree and your ex will sign a Waiver of Service, we offer fees that are much lower than other law firms because we use technology to streamline the process. To get a quote, just send us a quick message detailing your situation and we will get back to you as quickly as possible. 

Here’s How to Contact Us: 

The fastest way to contact the Andries Law Firm regarding your divorce is to submit your info through out chat or send us an email to:

You can give us a call at (318) 269-5857 to speak about your divorce. If we are assisting other clients when you call, please leave your name, number and type of legal situation you want us to help with and we will call back as soon as we can. 

Louisiana uncontested divorce

Attorney R. Jerome Andries 

Louisiana Divorce and Succession Attorney

Related Posts

Recent Articles

how to donate land in Louisiana
Protecting Your Interests: Working with a Louisiana Land Donation Lawyer
March 19, 2023
how to set up an LLC in Louisiana
Avoiding Costly Mistakes: The Top Reasons to Hire an Attorney for Your LLC Formation in Louisiana
March 19, 2023
Is ChatGPT Safe to use from a Legal Standpoint?
February 15, 2023

Contact Us:


Phone: (318) 269-5857

Due to our high volume of calls, email is normally the fastest way to contact our office.